Friday, July 23, 2010

Fire Performance Thwarted

If you are in the entertainment/club industry, avoid this happening to you.  Consult a professional in regards to national/local codes and regulations.

Fire officials thwart illegal fire performance at Mass. rave
Officials did research on the production company and anticipated the type of performance -- By Brian Lee


SOUTHBRIDGE, Mass. — Fire officials said they thwarted a production company's attempt to pull off a forbidden fire performance at a rave Saturday at the 12 Crane St. art and entertainment complex.

There were 400 to 450 people at the rave. Most were outside, where burgers, water, fruit juices and fruit shakes were sold. Alcohol was served inside.

Fire Chief Richard J. Ciesla Jr. said he was on watch from 6:30 p.m. until closing. The number of people inside the building did not exceed its occupancy permits, and safety was never in question, fire officials said.

However, the company was not forthcoming about what the event would be, Fire Lt. Steven R. Lavoie said. In addition to meeting with the building owner and company Wednesday, and doing a walkthrough Thursday, fire officials did research on the production company. It found that some of the things it has done elsewhere were not approved by the Southbridge officials.

Though production company employees said they would comply with Southbridge officials' requests not to have any kind of open uncontained fire, they tried to put on just that type of fire performance anyway.

"Had we (police and fire) not been on top of our game, it probably could have been a lot worse," Lt. Lavoie said.
Keith Woods, owner of Tight Crew, the production company, said he was not told ahead of time about restrictions on a fire performance. "As soon as I was told it was an issue I made everybody that we had flown in specially - professional fire performers - they all packed it up."


Read the entire article here -- http://tinyurl.com/2c9cy77


Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pet Fire Safety Day

An estimated 500,000 pets are affected annually by home fires, and new data shows that nearly 1,000 house fires each year are accidentally started by the homeowners’ pets.  July 15 has been declared Pet Fire Safety Day! Pet Fire Safety Day purposes to spread awareness about how to prevent pets from starting home fires and keep pets safe in the event of an emergency.



“Not many pet owners realize that their pet can actually be the cause of a devastating fire,” said AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “Simple preventative measures, such as flameless candles and removing stove knobs when leaving the house, can mean the difference between life and death for your four-legged friends.”

“Planning for unexpected emergencies like home fires and taking these precautions are an integral part of responsible dog ownership,” Peterson said.

The following tips can prevent your beloved pet from starting a fire, and keep them safe:

  • Extinguish open flames
  • Remove stove knobs -- stoves/cooktops are the number one cause of pet started fires
  • Invest in flameless candles
  • Beware of water bowls on wooden decks -- the sun’s rays when filtered through the glass and water can actually heat up and ignite the wooden deck beneath it.
  • Pet proof the home
  • Keep pets near entrances when away from home -- so firefighters can easily find them
  • Secure young pets
  • Practice escape routes with pets
  • Consider using monitored smoke detection services
  • Affix a pet alert window cling
The NVFC has a listing of fire departments across the nation where pet owners can obtain a free pet alert window cling as part of National Pet Fire Safety Day. Visit www.nvfc.org/windowclings to find a location near you.

The clings are also free online at www.adt.com/pets.

More information also available from aspca.org

Sunday, July 4, 2010