Internation Fire/EMS Safety and Health Week is being observed this week, June 17-23.
You can get all the resources at safetyandhealthweek.org.
Rules of Engagement for Firefighter Survival
- Size up your tactical area of operation.
- Determine the occupant survival profile.
- DO NOT risk your life for lives or property that cannot be saved.
- Extend LIMITED risk to protect SAVABLE property.
- Extend VIGILANT and MEASURED risk to protect and rescue SAVABLE lives.
- Go in together, stay together, come out together.
- Maintain continuous awareness of your air supply, situation, location and fire conditions.
- Constantly monitor fireground communications for critical radio reports.
- You are required to report unsafe practices or conditions that can harm you. Stop, evaluate and decide.
- You are required to abandon your position and retreat before deteriorating conditions can harm you.
- Declare a Mayday as soon as you THINK you are in danger.