|Photo by, Crawfish Head|
NFPA 1, Fire Code, section 22.214.171.124 refers to NFPA 20 and NFPA 1:13.4 for pump installation requirements. NFPA 1:126.96.36.199 requires the approval of all pump installations.
NFPA 20, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection does not “intend to require a backup source of power for every installation using an electric motor-driven fire pump”. [NFPA 20:A.9.3.2(2)] An alternate source of power is required only under one of the following conditions:
- Normal power source is not reliable (as defined in NFPA 20:A.9.3.2)
- Building height exceeds pumping capacity of fire department apparatus
- No back-up pump is installed
- Is the structure within the pumping capacity of the local fire department apparatus?
- Is the electric-motor driven pump connected to a “reliable” power source?
- Will a back-up pump be installed?
- shall be provided with a generator (in accordance with section 9.6)
- be connected to a power source independent of normal power (in accordance with section 9.2).