Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Grill Fire Kills 6

Last week, in Ohio, a early morning fire killed 6 people, including 4 children all under the age of 13.  It has been determined that heat from an unattended grill ignited the homes vinyl siding, causing fire to spread into the upstairs bedrooms of the home. 


From the article "Grills use, position key in fatal blaze" we read, 



"The charcoal grill may have been used as late as 3a.m.," Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle said yesterday, adding that the grill was touching the vinyl siding on the back of the house.
Investigators said they think the grill ignited the vinyl siding it was touching and led to fire moving up a nearby wooden fence and the back of the house.The most significant fire damage was done to the Cape Cod-style house's top floor, where the bodies of four children were found.
Nussle said it's not hard to imagine that a charcoal grill used at 3 a.m. that was left near vinyl siding could have caused the fire because vinyl siding is a petroleum-based product, and it can burn rapidly.

The home did not have a working smoke detector. Nussle said a smoke detector might have alerted the victims to the fire in time to save them.
"It would have increased the chance of survival greatly," Nussle said. "They would have been alerted much more quickly."
The tragedy, the largest single loss of life in any fire in Warren history, already has reminded several people of the importance of smoke detectors, Nussle said."

This tragedy should serve as a poignant reminder to follow grilling safety practices:
  • Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoor.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Keep children and pets away from the grill area. 
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended. 


...and to ensure that smoke detectors are installed (and working) throughout the home.  Smoke detectors should be installed just inside and just outside of each sleeping room.